06 April 2010

Kind of Funny

On Friday morning I was loading all of my snow gear and other stuff into my car in the garage. Being the estute person that I am, I left the door from the laundry room into the garage open a bit so that I wouldn't have to set everything down on the next trip to the car. It worked like a charm, and it was a good thing too because I had quite the load. After I settled everything into the car, I was going to go back in to get my water and keys and take off. I went to go back in to the laundry room and I guess somehow the load I was carrying had locked the door. This was a problem because my keys were in the house.

I quickly thought about whether or not I had left the sliding glass door in my bedroom open, and remembered that I had locked it the day before. I knew that the rest of the doors leading in to the house were locked as well. I had my phone on me, and that was it! There are two people in Carson who have a key to my house, my roommate and our property manager. I decided that I should call the property manager because he works in Carson, and my roommate works in South Lake Tahoe. I called the number he has used to call me and was told he wasn't in the office, but the receptionist connected me to his cell. When I heard the voicemail I realized it was the wrong Bob, and didn't leave him a message. Already feeling kind of dumb, I decided that I wouldn't call back to get the correct Bob.

I sat in the garage for a while, feeling like a helpless idiot, when I remembered that I probably had the skills to break in to my own house. A memory flooded my mind from back in the day when I was going to Snow College. I stayed there the summer after I graduated and moved in to a dorm, all by myself. It was awesome because I was working for the school and didn't have to pay rent all summer long. The only down side was that I had to pay for my laundry. Well, I didn't like paying for my laundry, so sometimes late at night I would sneak over to the house where I used to live (to my knowledge, it was not occupied during the summer) and break in using a credit card or something similar so I could use the washer and dryer. I usually used a card I didn't need because sometimes it would break. I found it rather boring to stay in a vacant house and do nothing while I waited for my laundry, so I usually left it washing or drying and came back later. Once when I came back, the landlord was there, but luckily the washing machine and dryer weren't running, so he didn't catch me, and I just came back when he wasn't there to get my clean clothes.

As I remembered my old skill, I wondered if I would have anything that I could use and not miss, to break in to my house. I remembered that a friend of mine had mentioned something about my work ID badge recently because it was in my car. I hoped that it was still there. Luckily, it was. I decided that I could always just get another ID if it broke, and slipped it between the door and the door jam. The first two attempts were unsuccessful, and I was afraid that I had lost the skill, until the third time popped the door open! I was so ecstatic (and grateful I had the skill) to break in! I got the rest of my stuff and took off for my Spring Break in Utah.

4 comments:

DaNette said...

You never now when your juvenile deliquencies will come to your aid...I only wish I had some breaking and entering on my record. Just in case ya know?

Allyson said...

Kelsey, you're awesome!

Potter Family said...

That is really funny. I can't believe the Kelsey I know would break into to do her laundry. You sneaky little snake:) You crack me up!

Strollerblader said...

Traffic tickets, laundry infractions, and breaking and entering. WOW, my whole picture of you has changed, Kelsey!! :o)

Hope your vacation was great and restorative!