12 March 2010

Honest Scrap


So I have been given the Honest Scrap Award by my good friend Melissa, and have been challenged to list 10 honest things about myself, and then award it to 4 other people.

1. I like to keep myself busy, sometimes too busy. I often say yes to things without thinking about timing or ability to accomplish whatever I have agreed to. For the most part I am able to finish what I start though. I think I thrive on having a million things to do with little time to do them-at least that's what it seems like because that is what my life has been like for last few months.

2. I like to start over. It's hard, and it's a headache sometimes, but it can also be extremely liberating. By starting over I mean going somewhere no one knows me and being the person I want to be. I discovered that I liked this when I moved to college, then when I moved to Washington State, then again on the mission with each new transfer, and many other times in my life. Going to a place where no one knows me has been a great way to change some big fundamentals that I lack or don't like.

3. I am limitless! I know that sounds funny, but let me explain. I once watched a very close friend struggle with certain parts of life because he put limits and boundaries on himself. I'm not talking about standards here; these are all-out boundaries that just cannot or do not get crossed. For a somewhat silly example, this friend decided that he was not much of a singer, so he NEVER sang, even avoided it because of his decision that he was not good at it. I thought about all of the fences that must keep him safe and comfortable and saw them as limits. Ever since witnessing how much he was stifling himself I have tried my best to never put limits, walls, boundaries, whatever, up in my life. If I'm not good at something, I will try to get better. If I am afraid of something, I try to overcome it. If I've never done something, I give it a go. Life is much more interesting and adventurous without limits. Case in point-I decided I should get into rock climbing when I was 19 so I could get over my fear of heights.

4. I am happy with my position in life. In the LDS culture it is close to a sin to be as OLD as I am and not married with three kids. But quite frankly, I am content with where I've been, where I am, and where I'm going.

5. I have a fettish with mullets. I take pictures of them and with them. In the past I have thought up random things to talk to them about just so I could get near one. I believe they possess some amazing self-confidence to have the hairstyle they do. And I talk about them like they are their own race or culture, because they kind of are. My roommates and I made up a 'mullet call' that has been taught and spread throughout the United States and Canada. There are three mullet calls: Traditional Mullet, Ulta Mullet and Mini Mullet. All are particularly effective in identifying a mullet on the street or elsewhere. WOO-YA!

6. Originally I became an English major because I wanted to write and thought that I possessed a gift. After having my writing torn to shreds in college, my determination to become a writer dwindled, but my appetite for great literature grew. I would still like to write some day, but perhaps there is now a great psychological obstacle that I must hurdle before I can do any sort of productive writing. I have decided that I will start with writing about the thing I know the most about-me. I want to write my life's history this year, before I turn 30. I really enjoy writing poetry and have done it most of my life.

7. Some of my serious food weaknesses include; tootsie rolls, mint chocolate chip ice cream, sushi, thin mint girl scout cookies, and cheetos.

8. I am an avid reader. I usually devour great literature and trudge through everything else. I like to read books that make me think and see things from a different perspective. Growing up, I was the kid with the flashlight under the covers at night, chipping away at a book. I have never read a book that I have hated.

9. I LOVE to learn! It doesn't matter what the subject/topic is, I eat up anything and everything I can get my mind around! Facts, skills, techniques, you name it and I will try to learn it. I just learned how to drive a big school bus and even got my CDL last month!

10. Some of my favorite people to spend time with are my nieces and nephews. Since I no longer live in UT I don't get to see them as often, but when I do get to see them I just can't get enough! We laugh, play, cuddle, play, talk, play, watch movies, play, read, play, play games, play, tell stories, play, jump on the tramp, play, go on walks, play, eat, play, have sleep-overs, play, and um, play. I LOVE playing with them!

Now I would like to award the Honest Scrap to:

DaNette B
Tara F
Sarah W
Callie J

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I feel so honored to have been chosen! Is it because I'm so scrappy? That was my nickname in soccer you know :)

You are so interesting and it inspires me to do more things I love!

Potter Family said...

Oh they mullet call, girls camp wouldn't have been the same without it.

DaNette said...

Do you think I can really be that honest? I might have to charm things up a bit so I sound more interesting...

DaNette said...

Plus I totally agree with you being limitless. You ALWAYS astound me with your ability to succeed when you put your mind to it, AND you make it look easy.

Melissa said...

All of it true and all of it YOU! Love this post, good job on your CDL. Couldn't imagine not ever knowing amazing you-