Back in December one of the teachers here at Silver State High School asked me if he thought our school could hold a talent show. We started talking about it and created a plan to determine whether or not we actually had enough talent at our school to do this. We filmed (our way of filtering) 'auditions' the week we got back from Christmas Break and scheduled the show for the second Friday back. That was a week ago today-it almost seems like a month. We were impressed with about thirteen students and invited them to come participate in the show. This took up more of my passion than anything has in a long time. We planned meticulously because we had to transform an archaic airport building into a modern, cool coffee house setting. It was a challenge, but I think we pulled it off. We had a rather diverse group ranging from the recorder to a Native American song to August Rush-ish guitaring. Here are some of the highlights:
This is girl sang an old slave song that has been passed down in her family.

These two guys can really wail! I was completely impressed by their skills.

I know that as a recent graduate many of my professors would frown on me for what I am about to reveal, but I just can't help it, I'm human. This is my favorite student. She lives with more passion than anyone I have ever met. She is also a self taught singer/song writer, and she is amazing!

This is Mr. Papke and I basking in the talent of our students.

It was a lot of fun to put this show on. Later that night as I was driving home I realized how much more emotionally invested I had become in SSHS because of this show. I really like it here.
Oh, we are working on editing the film of the auditions and the show and posting them on You Tube.
1 comment:
Hey Kelsey! Looks like you have a lot of fun things happening lately and are really involved. I love reading your blog because you have so much good to say! Well, have a great week. Love ya!
Post a Comment