08 May 2012

Buggin' me

My mom went to England on her mission and consumed over-cooked, over-buttered brussel sprouts for a portion of that mission. I don't know if my grandparents also fed her sprouts, but she NEVER had those on our dinner table growing up, probably because they also cost a lot. The first time I ever had brussel sprouts was as a twenty-one year old missionary.

My dad came to visit me a month ago and I fed him brussel sprouts, which I don't think he has had since he has been married to my mom. He liked them!

A few weeks ago I purchased some fresh brussel sprouts from a local grocery store.

I kind of love brussel sprouts.

I was excited to have some fresh sprouts with my dinner that night. I rinsed them off and steamed with a little bit of salt and pepper. Mmm. So good.

As I was in the middle of eating a lion's share of sprouts, I pulled back the leaf of one of them and noticed that there was a small steamed insect in that leaf. Ew. I pulled the leaf and insect off, then just about popped the rest of the sprout into my mouth, when I hesitated and pulled back another leaf to reveal five more steamed bugs. Yummy. I kept pulling leaves back and kept finding more bugs. I shuddered at the thought of the other sprouts I had already ingested and was able, with some effort, to keep them down. I threw the rest of the sprouts, bugs and all, into the trash. Sad day. I think I may have problems eating sprouts in the near future.

1 comment:

Strollerblader said...

You have discovered the #1 reason I hate brussels sprouts. My mom fed them to us growing up and they ALWAYS had bugs in them. They are Jeff's favorite veggie. #2 reason is because they taste yucky. Buy them frozen and full of non-organic, pesticide-induced goodness.
:o)