11 December 2010

Truly Moving

Haha. We were truly moving it to do a one day field trip to San Fransisco last Friday. We left at 6:45 in the am and took 23 students and 4 faculty members on a field trip to the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park to see an art exhibit. This was no ordinary art exhibit. These paintings are usually housed in the Musee d'Orsay in Paris, right next to the Louvre. We saw some Seurat, Signac, Gauguin, Cezanne, Monet, Renoir and even Van Gogh. Although I am not an art connoisseur, I do enjoy it, and find it very fascinating.


We went through an exhibit of Neo-Impressionist artists. They were all really wonderful, and I loved the style of Pointillism.

One of my favorites was this painting. I don't know the name, and couldn't find it online, but this photo doesn't do Paul Signac's HUGE painting justice. It was so vibrant and colorful. I stared at it for at least five minutes.


The section of the exhibit devoted to Van Gogh's work was very busy the whole time we were there. I did get a chance to take a long gaze at this amazing piece of art though. This is Starry Night over the Rhone by Van Gogh. There is no better way to describe my experience with this painting other than it was spiritually moving. It's almost like I could feel the passion of the artist when I saw his painting. Such a cool experience!


After the Museum, we took the students to the beach because some had never seen the ocean before. It was a good time!


Then we drove over to the Golden Gate Bridge, but it was SO foggy that we couldn't really even see the bridge, even as we drove across.


We stopped at In N Out on the way home, and were impressed with how well they handled so many of us. We made it back by 10:00 pm. We spent way too much time on the bus, but I think the teachers had more fun on the bus than the students did. I love hanging out with my co-workers; we really are a lot like a family at our little school.


Oh, did I mention, that I drove the bus half of the trip? Yes, kind of a big deal to drive a bus for that long, in that city, on those hills and narrow lanes, with that kind of traffic, and those types of drivers. We didn't die!

1 comment:

Matthew -n- Erica said...

I'm curious who that childhood friend was!! I don't expect you to post the name. I'm racking my brain trying to remember a moment like this. I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. In fact, I may not be a childhood friend. More like young adulthood friend!! Happy very late birthday. I'm awful at birthdays!!