For most of you who really know me, you understand that I am an extremely sentimental person. I have a really hard time getting rid of things that help me wax nostalgic in any way, shape or form. It has gotten better over the years, because I have been made to part with things, or I would have way too much stuff (not that I don't).
The reason I'm writing this post is actually because every year I kind of take an inventory of all of my 'stuff' and get rid of whatever I haven't used in a while. Each year, I go through the same routine, 'de-junking' my room/house/whatever. After summer school each day this week I have been hitting different sections, de-junking and purging. It always feels so good, and honestly makes me feel somewhat lighter when I get through this each year.
I think it's also just about every year that I go through four, three-inch three ring binders of letters. These are not just any letters, these are special. While on my mission, my mom kept all of the letters I sent home in a binder. I also kept all of the letters that people sent me while I was serving. While going through these binders last year, I think I convinced myself that I was going to always keep them. When this year's purge came around, I went through the same conflict-I never read these, except when I am trying to decide whether or not to keep them, so are they really worth keeping? The answer is the same this year as it has been in years past.
I always spend a few hours perusing the person I was, and I am always amazed at how many people were SO supportive of my service to the Lord in Canada. I read letters from so many friends and family members, that it rekindles a love and closeness for them, even though I am not necessarily 'close' to most of these people any more. My mom was an ever-faithful letter writer, something that got me through some rough patches. My sister wrote as an after thought on an envelope that she "hope[s] we will always be close and respectful," which made me laugh because it's kind of a funny way to tell someone you love them. I called her about it and we had a good laugh. I poured over letters and pictures from my now twelve year old niece. I read letters from former roommates that shared some awesome experiences with me. My former bishop's wife wrote some of the most sentimental letters I've read in a while. I re-read about three of my friends passing away, as well as some family members' battle with cancer. What an awesome part of the lives of my family and friends has been documented!
It is also humbling to look back and remember the way the Lord paved the way for His work to be accomplished in the different areas where I served. It is also shocking to see the difference in me, from then until now. Backsliding seems to be my favorite thing to do. Each year, when I read some of these letters, it is such a great gauge to check myself. I have much to do, and I am grateful for the annual reminder. I need to keep these fatty binders if only for this once a year activity of reminiscing about the mission and remembering what type of person I hope to be.
3 comments:
Not only are these letters preserved for you, they are preserved for your posterity. If you ever feel the urge to get rid of them--CALL ME!
I think I've kept mine too, most of them anyway. They should be in a box somewhere. I'm not sure where... but I think I have them :)
I'm all for purging, but some things must be kept forever! Those letters tell an important part of your life story! Just like you would never throw out a journal, you should keep those wonderful treasures no matter how much room they take up.
Post a Comment