27 January 2010

Big Day

A couple Saturday's ago I decided to do something adventurous. I was attending a session at the temple as one of the members of the branch was going through to get his own endowment in preparation for his mission. I decided that after the session and celebration were over, I was going to get out and do something-I wasn't exactly sure what it was going to be. All I knew was that it was going to get me away from the monotony that I had been feeling.

I prepared for this adventure by bringing anything I may have needed such as snowshoes, snowpants, a nice change of clothes-I was just going to do whatever I felt like doing at the time. When the session ended I didn't really feel like going snowshoeing or having a physical adventure, but more like a getting away adventure.

I changed my clothes and decided that I was going to go to Truckee and wander around. I really love how quaint Truckee is. I wandered up and down the main drag, in and out of the shops there. When I wandered into the glass blowing merchant's store, I knew that I had found the gift I would give my mom for her birthday this year. There were some replicas of flying pigs on the shelf. I asked the merchant if I could design one for my mom, and he thought that sounded like a good idea. So I sat there and chatted with him as he created this flying pig for my mom. It was a neat process.

The reason I got her a flying pig is because she fell in love with a portrait of a pig jumping off the end of a dock into a small pond in the middle of a lush, green meadow. My siblings and I bought it for her one year for her birthday and she changes it out with a few other portraits on occasion. This flying pig had the same reckless abandon I saw in the portrait and knew mom would enjoy it.

Although my adventure ended up being simply some great time to relax, I was grateful to find something that was so perfect for my mom. Who knew?!

I just wanted to shout out a Happy Birthday to the woman who is my constant support, my biggest fan, and my lifelong friend! I love you mom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never did thank you. Thanks! You're wonderful (and so is the pig)!

DaNette said...

I can't wait to see it! That is a GREAT picture! hehe