I wasn't going to let that happen this year-no sir. This year I decided to stick around and be there when the gifts were delivered because that is when it really feels like Christmas to me. This year I once again did the research and found the family. Then we found an additional family to serve as well. The first family has had it rough and they recently became active again. Unfortunately not all of the branch was able to deliver to their house because the father has some social anxieties. The first counselor in the branch presidency, the elder's quorum president and I got to be the lucky group to deliver the gifts. The kids were ecstatic and the parents were humbly grateful. We chatted for a while and basked in the joy that is giving and receiving.
Later we met up with the rest of the branch and drove down to a Colombian family's send off. They are moving to Canada on Saturday because they are being deported. They both lost their jobs and they were on work visas. Because they are moving across the country we couldn't provide much for them, just a nice Christmas dinner and a handful of gift cards. After loading their food into their car, we started to sing Silent Night. The true Spirit of Christmas washed over everyone there and we had a hard time finishing the first verse. There was the feeling I have been waiting for-the one that can never be described with words, the one that pulls my heart up into my throat and brings joyful tears, the one that reminds me what this life is really all about. Now it really feels like Christmas.
I love this time of year because people give freely of the their time, substance and love. The world is a better place because more people are focused on Christ during this time of year. If only we could conscientiously make it last all year long! ( :
No comments:
Post a Comment