31 August 2009

Funny Stuff

I was in Reno yesterday and saw this sign. I had to turn around and do another drive by to take the picture because I thought it was so funny. What I just don't understand is why they didn't do more of this type of thing when gas was over $4 a gallon.

Terminology has always been interesting to me, especially terms that teens come up with. I love the term 'chillax' which combines chill and relax. Today I heard a new one that I never thought of putting together. The nurse at school came in my office and was venting about something going on at the school, she kept saying, "I am just so flustrated." Now, I know that she is a very proper person and would not sink to creating her own pop culture vocabulary, so I had a very hard time not laughing or even smiling when she repeated this phrase over and over again. She was indeed very frustrated and I believe she would have become more so if I started grinning at her mistake. It was hard to sit and continue to listen with a stone face.

That reminds me of another story. Once my boss on temple square told me to move my 'thinger.' I asked her to repeat her directions and got the same request. I asked what a 'thinger' was and she told me I ought to know because there are five on each of my hands. She had always heard 'finger' incorrectly and literally thought that it was 'thinger.' How did she ever get through English class without having been corrected?

No comments: