I got to spend one amazing week at Buck's Lake in California, participating in our stake girl's camp!
It is kind of funny that a single's branch relief society president got invited to go camping with the Young Women, when I don't have much to do with them, but I was grateful for the opportunity. The lady who was supposed to do certification was not able to attend, so the stake relief society president, who used to be the stake young women's president, suggested that I go for her. The lady that couldn't go had already gotten everyone to teach, and planned when and where each year would be certified at camp. It was so organized that all I had to do was step in and fill the gap. It was nice to have the whole thing planned for me... ( :
Wow, I had forgotten how much I love girl's camp. This was quite the camp too. The church has leased the land for 100 years, so they are making it their own, complete with a swim beach, canoe beach, rock wall, archery range, zip line, amazing kitchen, great flushing toilets and showers. I must confess that I took a shower every morning I was there, and it was great. It was nice and hot so I had to shower in order to smell decent every day.
EVERYONE slept under the stars-my preferrential place to camp. The stake was not separated into wards, but rather into groups with a combination of wards. The YCL's were the leaders of these groups, with some adult supervision. It was a great way to run camp and fun to see it in action. I got to know lots of the leaders and girls. Camp really opened up some amazing opportunities for me with my calling and living situation. I am finally meeting normal people and by normal I mean people who aren't in the branch, and people I don't work with. It feels nice.
The overall camp was fun. There was a perfect amount of constructive and free time. They asked me to give a fireside on the first night, it was weird because I didn't know any of the girls and therefore couldn't personalize it as much as I would have liked to, but Heavenly Father has always got my back.
I got to climb the rock wall and do the zip line every day. It got me really excited about going rock climbing with my friends in Carson again. I also got to get out in a canoe with a few girls and leaders and start some fun water fights. When everyone was doing their 'ward thing' with their bishops one night, I got to take out a kayak and I paddled throughout the whole lake. I stayed up late, played guitar, told stories, laughed, cried, sang, ate really well, and even pranked a bit. Some of the girls were out to get the stake leaders, so we got them first, with their sleeping bags duct taped on the roof of the kitchen. ( :
There are a couple of ladies who knew I was moving after camp and they looked up my address and came to my house to help. There is no way I could have moved as quickly as I did without them, and I probably wouldn't have asked. I am so blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment