16 June 2009

Summer Orientation

Since I finally had my real first day of summer last Friday, I decided to celebrate by going hiking. One of my colleagues is a serious hiker and was going to show me a cool trail head because she couldn't go with me, but instead volunteered her daughter to go with me. We had a great time. We hiked up to Hobart Reservoir and enjoyed the view of the valley on the way up.

This is a picture of Washoe Lake, in the valley just north of Carson City. It was a scenic hike. Yes, the hills are all brown, that is one of the only things I'm not a fan of about Carson City.

This is a view of the Carson City Valley. It isn't big, and kind of reminds me a little of Logan. I live on the far side of the valley, close to some of the foothills.

This is the best picture of Hobart Reservoir that I got. There were tons of people fishing up there and it made me ache to do the same. My problem with fishing here is that I haven't fished for trout or anything like that for a number of years. I could sing the fish out of the water in Alaska, but here I'm totally clueless. This hike was about nine miles round trip and really steep, but very enjoyable.
After hiking on Friday I decided it would be fun to get a group together on Saturday and go hiking around Tahoe. We hiked about four miles round trip down to Skunk Harbor.
Here is a view of Tahoe. The weather was so mild that day, it was perfect hiking weather!
The thing I really love about Tahoe is how clean it is. There are so many gorgeous hidden beaches everywhere. Here is one that we found and played in for a while. It's funny. No matter how cold it is when I go to Tahoe I always have to get wet, but doesn't that water just look inviting?

There was this cool house that was all boarded up at Skunk Harbor. It was built in the late 1800's. My friend and I found a window that wasn't boarded up and ventured inside. It was fun to see the whole house. What a cool place to have a vacation house. We didn't stay inside too long because there were MANY bats inhabiting the place.

This is a picture of the group. The one in the blue jacket is my roommate. We had so much fun together that we are planning a camping trip for this weekend. I love the freedom and energy that summer brings! Only six more days of summer school! ( :

No comments: