
It was a great coincidence that my glider pilot is the father of one of my co-workers. We had a grand time! First the tow plane took us up to about 8,000 feet and then we detached ourselves from the tow rope and the ride suddenly became smoother. Gliding is basically a prolonged fall unless you can find some thermals to give you lift. We searched around for some thermals for a while but didn't find anything that gave us lots of lift.

This is a picture of us at about 8,000 feet.
Frank, my pilot, let me take the stick for a while and we just flew in a straight line. Then he asked me to apply what I had learned on the ground and make a turn. I had to keep the nose slightly down, the aileron (sp?, wing flaps) to the right and push in the right rudder hard. I did all of that but then couldn't keep my line straight in the turn, and so the glider naturally straightened out again. It was fun to fly for a while.

After a bit we decided to head back to the runway because we were running out of altitude to play in. We fell at about 100 feet per second, but we were traveling at a speed of about 60 MPH. It was the longest fall I have ever had, taking in total about 25 minutes.
If you ever get a chance, try gliding...it is a blast!
We kind of hung out on the runway for a while after we landed. I got to see a few parachuters. Maybe that will be my next adventure in the sky... ( :
2 comments:
What a fun adventure Kels!
Super Crazy fun!
Post a Comment