29 March 2009

Weather

Who knows if the events of the past week were weather related or not, but I would venture that they were.

The weather lately has been beautiful. Spring finally decided it should be sprung and brought some seventy degree weather through Carson City. Having had nothing but windy, cold days for the past few weeks, I think our students were affected by the weather at SSHS. Let me tell you why:

TUESDAY started as any normal Tuesday would, until there was a conference between two groups of students and the school deans about keeping our school safe, not threatening others, and just being there to get work done. This made one of the groups upset and rumors spread like wild fire that there was going to be a fight at lunch. A bunch of teachers were patroling the front of the school and even ended up as far away from school as a local Burger King before we had dissipated the crowd that was dying to see an all-out brawl. Unfortunately sides were still taken and things didn't end there.

After I had my pull out (time I spend specifically with my students), I happened to look out the back door, and sure enough, it was just in time to see a fight beginning. I ran out the back door and broke it up. I brought a few of the students inside, but the others ran down the street. Lucky for the kids I brought inside that I caught them at the beginning of the fight, they hadn't retaliated on the other group yet. I was still on the watch for the other group that ran off; I knew they would be back because they didn't have a ride home and they live all the way on the other side of town. Sure enough, they came back and ran from me again, but this time I was able to bring them back in to school. Then it was time to go home. What a day!

WEDNESDAY a parent came in and started going nuts on the front office staff, the nursing staff, the administration and the teaching staff. She was loud, obnoxious, and very rude. She came back an hour later shouting out threats and was asked to leave. She came again an hour after that with a restraining order all written out against one of our nurses. We called the cops and they took her down to the station for a while. They even detained her because she started going off on them. She came back at the end of the day to pick up her student and yelled some more.

THURSDAY the same parent came in and started it all over. We called the cops and she was told that she was no longer allowed on campus. She came back an hour later and yelled some more. Wow. What a day! I don't understand something. If she is so dissatisfied with our school, why doesn't she just take her daughter out? We think she was either on (or off) some heavy medication.

I don't know if any of this had to do with the weather, but I have certainly had a little Spring Fever lately...anyone else?

2 comments:

Miss Amanda said...

Wow...sounds like you had a rough week! At least you are having good weather, it gets warm here and then randomly we get a huge snow storm. I really want spring to come!

Tara Fears said...

HEY POOPY! I tried to call you today but uh, your number is DISCONNECTED? WHAT?