I've recently come to realize yet again how important it is for us to have the Spirit with us. Conference weekend marked a new bend in the road of my life. It was so good for me to absorb truth for eight hours that weekend. I was starving myself prior to that but I didn't realize it until I had feasted.
It has been a long time since I felt as though I have received any type of personal revelation. I'm sure that one of the reasons I felt like God was not speaking to me was because I was not seeking for it. I thought that I was doing fine on my own. I realized that I can do fine on my own, but I can't be great without the help of Heavenly Father. I want to be great. I saw what He wants for me, and it is much better than what I want for myself. He wants me to have the best and to be the best. I remembered that during conference, and now I want it again too.
There are three members of the Godhead. We have the amazing opportunity to have one of those members with us at all times. Who better to instruct, warn, inspire, teach and comfort us than someone who is completely in tune with Father in Heaven? Over the course of the last year I have slowly either stopped listening to or started ignoring the simple suggestions of the Spirit. It has taken a serious toll on my Spiritual well-being. Since conference weekend I have focused on being more alert and in tune with the Spirit. As this week has passed, I have been persuaded that there are some minor adjustments that I needed to make in my life to have greater joy. These really have been minor things that I wouldn't have thought about were it not for the gentle nudgings of the Spirit. Since I have made having the Spirit a priority once again I can honestly say that I am happier. I have taken a few things out of my life that were unnecessary and added some of the necessities of one who follows Christ. My burdens have not changed over the past week, but they have somehow become easier to bear. I have followed instructions from the Spirit this week that were hard for me because they caused emotional pain. It has been interesting how I have been blessed with a calm, comforting feeling that almost completely counter-balances my suffering. I almost feel as though I were being carried through this pain. I know that the road ahead will not be paved with gold or lined with roses, but I also know that it will lead me where the Lord would have me be.
I know that Heavenly Father truly is mindful of each of us. He hears us in our times of need or when we simply cry to Him in joy. He knows our hearts and for that I am grateful. I don't know what I would do if He could only see my actions and not know who I am on the inside-it would be much harder for me to demonstrate the way I feel about Him. I know that our Father seeks for us to be happy.
Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. He comprehends our feelings perfectly and knows the joys and sorrows we each experience. He somehow performed the act of atoning for all mankind and has provided the example for us to follow in this life. He loves us more than He loves Himself and is willing to assist us on our journey back to our Father. He offers the peace we need to get us through the challenges of this world.
The Book of Mormon has changed my life. The principles and precepts found in this book are untouched truth. I read the words of the Lord when I peruse its pages. I know that the Spirit will teach the heart of man that the Book of Mormon is true if he but read it and ask God.
Joseph Smith was the instrument Father chose to once again bring the fulness of His truth to the earth. He was a prophet called of God to do a work in preparation for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.
Thomas S Monson is the prophet today. I love how seamlessly the mantle slips from one prophet to the next. I have witnessed the mantle resting on President Monson and know that He is called of God to prepare the world for the eternities.
I know that as we tune in to the Spirit and do what we are asked, we will be filled with joy and upheld during our times of sorrow. The Lord doesn't usually ask us to do huge things, He asks us to do small and simple things. I know that it is by small and simple means that great things can be brought to pass. I pray that as I seek to adjust my life in small and simple ways, I will be qualified for the great plans Father has in store.
1 comment:
..AND A RM for crying out loud! But I know how you feel! Thanks for sharing your wonderful testimony. I miss hearing it every day! Love you!
Post a Comment