18 October 2008

Facebook?

Last weekend I got around 15 invites from friends and family via email to join Facebook. In the past I have always deleted these types of invitations because:

1) I was warned by my professors at USU that I had better watch out what I do online because potential employers sometimes google a person's name to see what type of information is out there about them

2) I have always been skeptical about things like Facebook and Myspace, I can't really explain why

3) I prefer to talk with people over any other form of communication-I'm not great at emailing and I dislike texting, but I am fairly good at writing letters (comes from a year and a half of practice)

4) With my recent addiction to blogging I thought there was a good possibility I would also become addicted to Facebook or Myspace and thus waste more time on the internet than I actually ought to

Having all of these hesitations, I joined anyway. I alleviated some of my anxieties about my first reason for not joining by not putting my real name in my Facebook account. Clever aren't I?
In just one week I have gotten in touch with some people that I haven't heard from in about ten years. It has actually been kind of fun to catch up with some of those folks. I must admit that I don't really get what to do on Facebook though. Do you just write on other people's walls and that is it? Seems kind of strange if you ask me. I think I need a Facebook tutor to show me what to do. Any volunteers?

No comments: