10 September 2008

Officially Official

It wasn't the signing of my first teaching contract that made my life here in Nevada official, nor was it the sound of money as my first paycheck was deposited today. It was the act of getting a library card that made me feel like an official resident of Carson City.

I really don't know how to explain it, but ever since the first time I moved out when I was 18, there was a sense of home when I knew that I could go get any book I wanted from the local literary lounge.

I was actually persuaded by one of my students to get a library card this week. Last week this student came in to meet with me and told me that the online curriculum was not challenging enough for him; he wanted to do more. Golden! We discussed options for ramping up his workload and settled on him writing one essay a week, as well as reading a book of his choosing with me. He decided that we are reading Back to the Future, which I honestly didn't know was a book. I had to not only get a library card, but get the book reserved from another neighboring library! Who knew?

Silver State High School is seriously one of the best educational institutions I have ever come across (yes, in my short career of 3 weeks).

I enjoy the school for the following reasons:

1. It is conveniently located between Big 5, one of my favorite outdoor equipment stores, and Port of Subs, a local sandwich shop whose baking aromas permeate the registrar's office. Yes, the school is a store-front. The back half of the school used to be some animal hotel, and the front half used to be a Blockbuster.

2. There are only 10 regular education teachers at the school, so it really feels like a tight-knit family. I have felt nothing but support from my colleagues. They all recently had to go through the process of figuring out how to teach at an online high school, so they remember what it feels like.

3. Most of my day is spent one-on-one with the students. The school is set up so that ALL students get the teacher time they need. This is the epitome of what I think education ought to be.

4. The students are amazing! I am so impressed with the different backgrounds of my students. For some, this is their last chance of getting a high school diploma. Others simply didn't fit the mold at the traditional high school. No matter the case, it is amazing to see how they all come together and help one another through. I love it!

I think my list could go on and on, but I don't want to bore anyone. I just thought I should write a little because one of my friends told me that I don't write much on my blog. This one's for you!

1 comment:

DaNette said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. I am glad you are keeping up on your blog and we are able to keep track of you. I'm glad things have worked out so well for you!