There is something to say for the night sky when you live in the middle of nowhere. The milky way is visible every clear night. The constellations are easier to pick out. The shooting stars are somehow brighter and last longer. But I think that the greatest thing about the night sky in the middle of nowhere is the moon.
As the moon rises each night, it peaks between different monuments, almost as though it may be tired of making the same journey across the night sky.
Tonight the moon is so full and so bright that the monuments are darkly silhouetted against the moonlit night sky. Tonight the moon is so bright, I can read my watch without hitting the indiglo button. Tonight the moon is so bright that there is an ethereal calm which has settled into this secluded little corner of the world. The moon owns this night, with all of its splendor. Tonight there will be a lunar eclipse, called a blood moon, and I'm debating between sleep and nature. I hope nature wins.
Tonight is a night for recalling memories under the moon, with and without ambient city lights. Tonight I remember pausing during many a soccer game at Carson High School to watch the big, orange moon rise over the mountains. Tonight I recall moonlit conversations with many a friend and family member. Tonight I am in awe of the power light has to overcome darkness.
I can't help but be happy under the moon in the sky tonight.
1 comment:
hmm....very poetic....do you teach English? Wish you lived closer. :)
Post a Comment