03 July 2011

the little things...

Having recently traveled out of the country has made me blindingly aware of how many things I need to be more grateful for in my life, and I'm talking about the smallest things-things I have never thought to be grateful for before.

water

I never realized how blessed I am to have clean water to drink, to shower in, to cook with, to wash with. Access to this water is so easy too! I simply have to go to any of THREE sinks in my house to have clean water, any time of day or night-I have the option of having varying temperatures of water as well. I even have water hooked into machines in my house that will wash my dishes or clothes for me. Wow. So blessed!

toilet paper

Okay, this has to have a few clarifications; I am grateful for soft toilet paper that I can flush down a toilet. I am grateful that I don't have to carry my own toilet paper with me wherever I go, or pay for it when I have to go. ( : I can buy numerous brands of soft toilet paper at most local stores. I am so blessed.

sanitation

I can go to local grocery stores and expect the groceries I buy there to be clean. I don't have to worry too much about scouring everything I consume. I can also put all of the waste I generate into a plastic can and someone will come by once a week and take it all away-I don't have to try to find a place to store it or dispose of it on my own. I can even choose to recycle and someone will come by and take that away from me too. I am blessed.

health

This is something that I think I take for granted the most. I have access to doctors who can help me deal with something as serious as cancer or as simple as burning a wart off of my foot. Any ailment I have, there is some sort of specialist that I can go see to get help.

I have always been a somewhat healthy person because of how active I choose to be and how I choose to eat. It has always been my choice to be healthy. Never have I thought about my health not being a choice. Recently, I haven't had much of a choice when it comes to my health, and it has been humbling to see how blessed I have been to have such good health in my life thus far. I am blessed.

opportunity

The things I am most grateful for in life lately are the opportunities I have. I can choose to be whatever I want to be in life, do whatever I want to do, live wherever I want to live, and really make it happen. I can afford an education. I can afford a roof over my head. I can afford a car AND a motorcycle. I can afford to eat three times a day. I can afford to work only five days a week, nine months a year. I can afford a cell phone and the internet. I can afford clothing for myself. I am so blessed.

In the past, I have looked at what I don't have and longed for it. Lately, I look at what I do have and feel much gratitude for it. I am so blessed.

3 comments:

Strollerblader said...

2 thumbs up!

DaNette said...

It's a good reminder, especially this weekend. It's easy to forget all the freedoms we take for granted living in this well established, sanitary, democratic country.

Matthew -n- Erica said...

Where did you go? Sounds like my experience coming home from Argentina. That's why I have such a hard time with Christmas. I can't feel good about spoiling my kids a bit until I do something for someone less fortunate. You never forget.